Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Library Day in the Life - at Home

It is Library Day in the Life, Day 2, and instead of reporting for duty at the school library, I am home with my daughter who has a low fever and a strong cough. What does a school librarian do when home all day?
First I had to negotiate with  my husband about who would stay home all day. I won. I get more sick days, and my library schedule didn't look too busy today. These sick days make it both hard and delicious to be a working mom. It is hard to call in and say I'm not coming, knowing it just means more work for the other librarians. Many independent schools do not hire subs for librarians. The day is delicious because my daughter isn't that sick, and we can just hunker down and try to enjoy the unexpected day off. Here is what we did.
  • TV on (when sick, children love TV even more than usual, and I tend to let them watch).
  • Checked in at work via email.
  • TV off.
  • Made breakfast.
  • Made Valentines. 
  • Made lunch.
  • TV on.
  • Added my library as a venue on foursquare - wondering who will participate.
  • Blogged/facebooked about the above to spread the word.
  • TV off.
  • Finished Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment by James Patterson while daughter read Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Found out I am a mentor for a UCLA student and contacted her via email.
  • TV on.
  • Had the washing machine repairman tell me my washer is totally broken and too expensive to fix. 
  • Fretted about the above. 
  • TV off.
  • Picked up son from school and dropped him off at an after school activity.
  • Did laundry at my mom's house.
  • Met son and husband at home to make dinner.
  • Made and ate lovely dinner.
  • Folded laundry.
  • Wondered if I will return to work tomorrow. Check in tomorrow to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment